Sunday, October 10, 2010

Are we having a good time?

And now, a word about fun.
Have some.
Go ahead, you deserve it.
No, no, I mean it. Have a big ol’ helping of a good time.
It’s calorie free, doesn’t require a reservation, and may result in a throaty chuckle, a deep guffaw or two, and perhaps even unabashed laughter.

What, you say you don’t have time for that? Well, join the crowd.

Have you noticed how gosh, darn serious we all have become? I offer my opinion that easily hurt feelings, road rage, petty gossip, and insignificant arguments could all be reduced through an injection of fun into daily life.

How and why did we Americans become such a serious bunch?

Watch on your commute tomorrow. The faces of those folk in the cars enroute to work, your coworkers as they cross the parking lot, and even your own face in the mirror. Do you see a person ready to grab a good time as it passes by? To see the humor in daily life? To laugh out loud? Is there a sparkle in the eyes of the person you observe? Laugh lines ready to crinkle?

I’ll bet not. Too few of us see every day as the opportunity for adventure. No, we save having a good time for vacations. Oh, maybe on the weekend between chores. But to see life as a joyful experience? Why not? Oh, I can hear you now…because life is full of hard times. Because there are burdens to bear. Well, in the immortal words of Truvy, “laughter through tears is one of my favorite emotions.”

I do believe that we were created by the Divine. And not created to be a drone, slaving away to accomplish, accomplish, accomplish and then measure those accomplishments. No I believe we were created to live – and laugh. How can you not believe in a creator with a sense of humor? Consider the artichoke, possums, and cellulite. The fact that as we age hair grows in abundance from ears and nostrils. If that isn’t some sort of creational practical joke, I’m not sure what is. God has a great sense of humor – thank goodness.

So, I challenge you to make the view from my seat (this week) one of seeing more people having a good time. Just living. Don’t wait…life, and the good time it is meant to be, might just pass you by.

No comments: