Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Carpe Diem

As I rode to work this week, I observed that the world appears to be divided into two types of people. I base this upon the morning demeanor of drivers coming across the vision of a pudgy middle-aged woman, wearing a purple backpack, on a bicycle. I’m sure this data collection and decision making method meet no known scientific criteria, but I stand behind my conclusion.

The two categories are: Carpe Diem and Carpe Complainem. For those who are not as fluent in Latin as myself this roughly translates into the “Seize the Dayers” versus “Seize the Complainters”. (Forgive me Sister Mary Brendan, high school Latin teacher)

The Carpe Diem crowd (hereafter referred to as CD) is identified by the ability to smile and wave, even if it requires the use of medical strength caffeine. They might be talking on the cell phone, nodding to music, tapping fingers on the steering wheel, or applying lipstick, but they shared a similarity in that they seemed to be looking for the first (or next) bright spot in the day. Many a CD’er didn’t wait for me to wave or smile, they started the friendly communication. Not all appeared to be morning people (I’m not). Some appeared to do a double take, “did I really see that?”, but once reassured that they were not hallucinating, they grinned and some shook their head in mock wonder. I believe I may have been the topic around a water cooler or two, “You’re never going to believe what I saw today...”

In contrast, the Carpe Complainems (hereafter referred to as CC) have shoulders that are already hunched to near earlobe level before 8 a.m. When encountering a bicyclist, their first thought appeared to be “road kill”. Road kill wearing a purple back pack. They lean on the horn or pass without moving more than a quarter-inch away from the cyclist. One cheery chap shouted “get on the sidewalk.” I encourage him to read the Kentucky State Drivers Manual, since his current reading doesn’t seem to be bringing much joy to his life. If I dared make eye-contact with a CC’er they quickly moved their eyes to the right or left and stared blindly into space. No smiles. No friendly waves, not even the one-finger type. CC’ers seemed to be bound to their purposeful life…get to the office…get to work…get ‘er done…and - by golly - make sure that no fun is had along the way. If they spoke of me, I imagine it was more like this: “D*** bicyclist slowed me down by 40 seconds on the way to work today. I had to park two extra parking stalls down."

I think they need a purple backpack. I know I feel much better when I wear mine. In the meantime...take time to watch the leaves change color, enjoy a fall walk or ride, try smiling on the way to work, pet a dog (you just can't be grumpy while petting a dog), and Carpe Cheerum (seize some good cheer)!

No comments: